Bill's Corner- An Eastern Spruce Perspective

Activity in the eastern spruce lumber market started out strong with much trader excitement yesterday but trailed off throughout the day. The mills continued lack of availability on many needed items, high asking prices and extended lead times to get material, all had their effects on subduing enthusiasm and getting orders. Retailers, fearful of an eventual downturn in prices, kept their purchases to a minimum. Their continued reliance on quicker reload material though has decimated distributors’ inventories and has left many with fewer options on getting quick product.

7 Likes

I read this and immediately said “oh no!”. I wonder how many days of inventory most folks are at right now… that would be a good anonymous survey for next week! What are you hearing out there?

7 Likes

@william_giguere ditto to @Andrew_Gibson
So Bill, what in your opinion should be the buckets of the poll for inventory levels:

• less than 1 week
  • 1 to 2 weeks
  • 2 to 3 weeks
  • more than 3 weeks

or you have other thoughts?

8 Likes

How about 30, 60 and 90 days???

Brett Wauls

G.R> Mitchell Inc.

9 Likes

Thank you @BRETT_WAULS! And welcome to Pakira!
So you prefer the standard 30, 60, 90 days which is great. Would we also want to ask whether people have less than 15 days of inventory given @william_giguere 's report today?
So suggesting 15, 30, 60, 90?

8 Likes

Seems Like it captures the Long and Short of it!!!

Pun intended!!!

B

6 Likes

@BRETT_WAULS has jokes!!! :rofl:

Welcome to Pakira!

6 Likes

In this business if you don’t laugh right now, You are in the corner in the fetal position!!!

7 Likes

thank you @BRETT_WAULS – will do!
:pray:
and I suspect @william_giguere will agree with you :upside_down_face:

6 Likes