Breaker Breaker 19, What’s Your 20 ?

Hats Off To Trucking Professionals on the Road every night actually making the rubber meet the road, literally and figuratively. We Appreciate You All !!!

12 Likes

It breaks my heart to hear about the struggles truckers go through. Without trucking, the world grinds to a halt. The trucking industry needs serious reform that put the trucker’s needs at the center. Truckers are long overdue for the respect they deserve.

Concerns of…

It’s sad that the #1 need of truckers is related to the most basic human need; sleep. What do you think?

12 Likes

I completely agree that sleep is SO important for truckers. Not only for trucker’s own health and safety, but also for the safety of other drivers on the road. In my mind, parking to enable a good “night’s” sleep is just as important as food and water in the trucking industry.

I find this “overcrowded parking” of sorts intriguing considering there is a trucker shortage currently. You would think such a shortage leads to less trucks on the road and therefore, more available parking at rest areas, gas stations, etc. How will this current situation change if trucker number return to sufficient levels?

9 Likes

There’s not enough room because the trucking industry is running at full capacity already I think. Plug in all the regulations (which is the required sleep and other rules that no one seems to address causing much of the pain).

It’s also expensive to run and maintain a truck so the entry level is all but non existent for most everyone. We all have to have sleep and most the drivers require it. From what I can see a large portion of the commercial trucks are dedicated and only run for the company or groups of companies that own them. I see a lot of empty trucks everywhere as well either resting or waiting for their next load which could make it look like there are a bunch of trucks but they are sleeping where ever they can find a safe spot.

For example, Publix has a dedicated fleet of trucks and only does Publix work so this is somewhat common place as companies that can try to vertically integrate to reduce these problems. During covid the covid regulations and restrictions really affected trucking negatively. On the other hand owner operators or small common carriers are individually owned and as prices have risen the ones willing to pay market rate or better seem to have no problems getting the trucks . If your still trying for $2.50 a mile the going rate is closer to $4-5 a mile on most lanes. Applying the proper amount for a given lane could go along way in speeding up delivery times as delaying only moves you farther down the pick up list. Pricing the freight properly by market conditions will go along way in getting your asap loads moved .

10 Likes

What is your experience booking loads and what do you customers care most about?

From my limited experience, most of my customers cared most about knowing the load is booked, moving, and when to expect delivery than they ever did about getting the load X hours sooner.

8 Likes

I’ve heard other people saying the same thing. If you’re willing to pay, then there is no problem. Given increased prices, have margins proportionally increased? Do sellers have more room to add in the higher price for transport? and given the volatility of lanes, what is the best way to discover a price for a given lane these days?

Also, I hope the truckers are getting in on the increase in rates.

8 Likes

Yeah 19 coming in loud and clear. I’m dodging the full grown bears at the moment,!:joy::joy:

10 Likes

I can get a few tricks together right now! If you know anyone having that problem? Let me know about it. They own their trucks and will go anywhere they get paid to go. I can think of six truckers that have worked this industry for thirty years.hu

We can solve this problem through all of the resources that everyone here can bring to the table. Like I said, I know six truckers that own trucks, sawdust Vans, chip Vans flatbed trailers land a few with log bunks.
This is not a solicitation of any kind
I learned that the best was to tackle things out of our control is too make big movie while you still can. I’m willing to get the trucks lined out! And start bolander lumber back . We can put truck’s in the road within the week if everyone works together using their expertise,we can start solving some major issues?!?!h

I bought a trucking company and made $1600 a day profit. Then I added a few more trucks and they were all booked for weeks. Cancer detailed everything I was doing. I’m about to start a logistics Company anyways so special loads can be sent out no problem. that would make sure we don’t have all the supply shortages everyone else has .

11 Likes

What region are those flatbeds in?

6 Likes

They are in northeast Kentucky . Do you have an idea about using them?

7 Likes