Broadband provision in the Infrastructure Bill

For those of us relying on trucking and cellular coverage, Biden’s infrastructure has a less publicized benefit:
“The bill will kick in $65 billion to build out the country’s broadband infrastructure, with the goal being to help provide access to high-speed internet for every American. While one in four households are expected to be eligible for a $30 monthly subsidy to help pay for internet access, the buildout will also benefit businesses that have been operating in “no cell zones,” including trucks on the road”

For the full read: Infrastructure Bill Delivers Much for Trucking - Fleet Management - Trucking Info

10 Likes

With more people getting access to the broadband internet, I am interested to see the impact this has on reducing the digital divide between rural and urban areas. @Mike_Kotloski have you experienced any problems from the lack of broadband infrastructure and “no cell zones” in rural areas?

9 Likes

@Andrew_Gibson , yes! So, DQT’s solution utilizes GPS to locate vehicles/deliveries, but the location information needs cellular service to be transmitted back to home base. Knowing this, some companies opt to no look at adding systems like ours if, for example, they work in places like Montana and Wyoming. Information does get stored and transmitted when the truck gets cell coverage, but you do lose some of that “real-time” location and communication with the delivery driver.

10 Likes

Wow! @Mike_Kotloski This bill is HUGE NEWS for you and your business. You and your company are positioned for success! I’d love to learn more about DQT’s solutions, this sounds very interesting!

10 Likes

It will help bridge some gaps and make the technology available to a larger audience @Andrew_Gibson ! Below is a link to a quirky 3-minute video introduction into DQT. In short, we provide a single platform solution to building materials suppliers and distributors for scheduling, routing, tracking deliveries, and providing customer delivery notifications. We utilize GPS technology and integrate with many of the LBM specific ERP systems like Infor, Epicor, Spruce, and DMSi.
Here is the link to the video: https://interactrapp.com/share/604a7d090bce3

10 Likes

Wow! Really cool, this would be a huge help to many in the industry.so often orders and deliveries are just flying blind.

I’m guessing you would need your own fleet correct? Do any fleets advertise this service to their clients? This would be a good way to get new business

8 Likes

And, the Amazon effect has had an influence on customer expectations with status notifications and proof of delivery emails with pictures!

Yes, all of our customers have their own delivery fleets and that is typically the first question I ask. The smart ones are actually starting to promote the fact that they know where your delivery is and when it’s going to get to you. I always try to include someone on the sales management side when I do a demo as they get that this solution is both a selling tool and brand promotion.

9 Likes

Really interesting, this would be a big draw for me. I know we are moving off topic here, but I would love to see more delivery notifications. The amazonification of our world is opening peoples eyes to what is possible. Hopefully this bill, combined with innovative people like yourself with help to close the gap between what is possible and what is reality!

8 Likes

The tools are there and the infrastructure is improving. It’s up to the people sending out deliveries to catch on and catch up! The ones that have caught on are going to drive adoption. As we discussed earlier in the conversation, the smart ones are going to advertise things like notifications and take business from those that are stuck in old technology!

9 Likes