The Forest Products Buyer in New England (upper NY, MA, VT, NH) will procure wood ties for treating to manufacture railroad ties. They will be responsible to Inspect, grade and appraise wood ties stock offered for sale to determine value and yield. Selects and orders wood commodities from lumber mills, brokers, competitors, and sister companies, utilizing knowledge of various articles of commerce and experience as buyer. Have Supplier arrange transport of purchases or contacts carriers to arrange transportation of purchases. Enters Purchase Orders and authorizes payment of invoices or return of merchandise. May conduct staff meetings with sales personnel to review forecasts and introduce new wood products. Prepares budget prices for purchases. Territory includes New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, and eastern Canada.
• A minimum of two years’ experience of wood products experience required. Wood treating, procurement, sales, forestry, logging, or sawmill experience preferred. The applicant can be trained for this job.
• Education: High school or GED required. Bachelor’s Degree preferred in Forestry, Business Administration or Finance.
• Wood grading and License/Certification: Lumber/Tie Grading Certificate preferred.
• Must be a legal US resident. Unfortunately, there is no visa sponsorship offered for this role.
• Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills
• Above average organizational and leadership abilities
• Detail oriented with ability to multi-task and work under pressure
• Experienced in presentations, negotiation and financial analysis preferred
• Excellent computer skills including Microsoft Suite and Enterprise
• Willing to travel 25-50% of the time and to Canada. Must be able to obtain a passport.
• Good driving record.
Anyone that wants to consider this position, reach out on LinkedIn, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call me at 804-874-8874. Send me your resume and we will schedule a short call.