Japan increases imports of wood pellets by 42% in July

In July, Japan’s imports of wood pellets jumped 42% year-on-year to 415 thousand tonnes. The value of imports soared 68% to $89 million. Average price of wood pellets soared 19% to $213 per tonne.

Vietnam’s share amounted to 44% of Japan’s total wood pellets imports. Vietnam is Japan’s biggest wood pellets exporter with second-ranked Canada at 31% of total exports, while the U.S. takes 15% and Australia 6%.

In January-July, Japan’s imports of wood pellets soared 42% year-on-year to 2.4 thousand tonnes.

13 Likes

@Earl_Heath @Madison_s_Lumber_Rep is the increased demand in Japan and across Europe have an affect on the North American Wood Pellet business?

11 Likes

Where does Japan import the majority of its pellets?

11 Likes

@Andrew_Gibson Absolutely Andrew. For example: Canada appears to be ramping up pellet imports to Japan in recent years while the United States has increased imports to Netherlands. Those are two of the most notable examples but there are many more.

11 Likes

I’m pretty sure that’s less than what I paid last year ($250 I think). I wonder if they’re soft, hard, or mixed.

11 Likes

From our exposure that is priced for soft A1, hard closer to 425.

11 Likes

I am fascinated to see how the markets pan out as we head into winter. Do you have any predictions?

9 Likes