Opinion: Mass timber is the future of construction in British Columbia

4 Likes

British Columbia seems to be ahead of the US in Mass Timber projects and construction … :thinking:

4 Likes

@Nic_Wilson Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the US is way behind Europe, Scandanavia and most of Canada in Mass Timber adoption, correct?

3 Likes

Yes, and that’s the best part for North American markets. It’s already been proven in European countries like Norway and Sweden so it will be much easier and faster to adopt here. They’ve already done all of the heavy lifting such as building codes and fire ratings, etc. The industry has only just peeked its head on this side of the world. Getting the infrastructure in place was one of the biggest hurdles, but now large volume mass timber manufacturing plants are popping up left and right. Big things are on the horizon!

5 Likes

From what I’ve been seeing and hearing, it’s the complete opposite. Everybody is embracing it with open arms. I attached a picture that was taken from the 2021 International Mass Timber Report, to show how fast Mass Timber plants are popping up. (don’t mind the red circle - personal notes) I think people are tired of the old industrial steel and concrete way of building and want to put their companies name on a building that has a carbon neutral or carbon negative foot print. Plus the beauty and design aspect of precision milling that was developed off-site and under roof is hard to beat. It’s basically organic art, it’s natures fingerprint so it’s very unique and has warmth. Compared to concrete that’s cold and gray. It unmistakably has a different feeling when you walk inside. Plus once it makes it to the job site, there isn’t all the wasted lumber anymore and it doesn’t take near the amount of time or the amount of labor cost that it does to construct concrete or steel framed high rises. I’ve tried to brainstorm up pitfalls of mass timber building and all I can come up with is the risk of runaway lumber prices, like we just had 4 months ago. But then again, the same thing can happen on the price of steel. It’s lighter, stronger, precision cut, fire rated, cheaper, faster builds, it’s sustainable construction too from mills who must replant the trees that were cut down, it’s carbon neutral, and it’s more pleasing to the eye. It’s hard to think there would be cultural push back. Plus now that 18 story mass timber sky scrapers were passed in the 2021 International Building Code. Regulations are a thing of the past too. It’s full steam ahead from how I’m reading it, but if anybody has a different view point. I’m always open ears.

4 Likes

I don’t think we will see any cultural pushback. In fact, I think once everyone realizes exactly what you wrote above there will be a cultural welcoming! CLT makes sense for the economy and ecosystem. These mass timber skyscrapers will be a marvel and an icon for the possibilities of mass timber. Every other “climate solution” is one that reduces or eliminates carbon emissions. Meanwhile, Mass timber sequesters carbon and takes it back!

@Nic_Wilson I am very excited about where mass timber will go, especially with young and enthusiastic people like yourself behind it.

3 Likes