Slower Mid-Summer Activity Brings Flat Lumber Prices

As July waned, lumber prices remained flat but players warned that muted demand and ample supply could mean lower prices on the horizon. Field inventories were strong and transportation issues — while still frustrating — were getting worked out. Highly populated areas of traditionally significant building activity turned quiet as scorching temperatures prevented most construction work. Sawmills prepare for this usual annual slowdown, so go into maintenance curtailment and staff holidays. Important in recognizing that prices might be softening is the reality that sawmills were not able to extend their order files, which had been hovering at a quite healthy two weeks.

Staying flat for two weeks, for the week ending July 29, 2022 the price of benchmark softwood lumber item Western Spruce-Pine-Fir 2x4 #2&Btr KD (RL) was US$684 mfbm, said weekly forest products industry price guide newsletter Madison’s Lumber Reporter. This is up by +$0, or +0% from the previous week when it was $684, and is up by +$59, or +9%, from one month ago when it was $625.

FULL STORY: https://madisonsreport.com/2022/08/10/slower-mid-summer-activity-brings-flat-lumber-prices/

#sawmill #softwood #lumber #building #construction #housing #ushousing #realestate #wood

8 Likes

great analysis of cause and effect @Madison_s_Lumber_Rep
as usual very detailed and informative
no records yet on the WSPF KD curves – still within the 2020/2021 price ranges, but fluctuating fast!

6 Likes

Huh?

8 Likes

I’m curious if anyone knows what’s impact the Russian 35% deal has to do with the price of lumber in USA now ?

7 Likes

I’m not sure if I posted on right thread ?
Oh well from what I’m hearing the Overall rally is because mills and reloads are light on 2x4 and studs but seem to have an abundance of low grade and undesirable items. It was long over due .
It’s always nice to see Green!!!

8 Likes

@Michael_Haas
my last sentence is supposed to read “WSPF KD #2&Btr has not broken price records yet” according to the curve @Madison_s_Lumber_Rep posted above. Sorry for the shorthand :grinning:

6 Likes