Transportation pricing inquiry -- ballpark averages

Hello sales, procurement, transport, and lumber people at large! I have a quick inquiry on current average prices for transporting loads – ballpark. Expect ranges of pricing depending on distance of course.
We are building a financial model and realistic assumptions would be super helpful here, based on the current market.

What are the current average rates for lumber transport (expecting a range of prices here depending on distance):

1. truckload to travel 100-300 miles
  2. train car 500-1000 miles
  3. vessel across the atlantic
  4. vessel across the pacific

Thank you thank you thank you!
@Mike_Kotloski @David_Stallcop @Michael_Haas @Don_Divine @dustin_shaver

10 Likes

Here’s the stuff I’m hearing or heard !
*Trucks are $500-750 to turn on the engine
*Most Hauls are $5-6 a mile and maybe a little cheaper if it’s an long easy one
*Shipping containers from what I hear are $12-15k each plus all $orts of fun storing and shipping ;/)
*Be Realistic ! The better the rate is to the trucking professional the quicker the loads will ship and deliver so if the load has to get there on time quoting the “real” price is really important!!!
Cheers

7 Likes

amazing @Michael_Haas thanks so much! shipping containers are primarily for vessel cargo correct? Is there separate pricing for a train car of lumber?

7 Likes

@Patrick_Taylor @HENDKIE_JEAN @Mike_Kotloski @David_Stallcop @Michael_Haas @Don_Divine @dustin_shaver @william_giguere and other’s above, please back me up here

@Nadia here are some resources for you

1. truckload to travel 100-300 miles

• Short haul = under 250 miles = flat rate (see @Michael_Haas)
  • Long haul = over 250 miles = variable rate (see @Michael_Haas)
    *** Keep in mind given the trucker shortage, if you actually want to book a timely load, then the DAT numbers might be way off (refer to the expert instead @Michael_Haas)

2. train car 500-1000 miles

• Typically dictated by millXrail line partnership agreement and rates depend on mills advertized “adder” rate to various cities. @Michael_Haas do you know what the typical per mile would be?
  • @Michael_Haas does steelroads.com have any free tools for rail line pricing?
  • Would anyone be willing to share what the typical adders are today?

3. vessel across the atlantic 4. vessel across the pacific

10 Likes

great summary @Andrew_Gibson thank you!

8 Likes

Most companies have a dedicated logistics crew that keeps up to date info so most traders should have all the pricing to where ever they want to go at their finger tips from trucks to rail cars. The smaller independent traders use a myriad of logistics websites (DAT), brokers or buddies you know to keep the goods rolling. It’s imperative to be accurate !!

6 Likes

@Andrew_Gibson I can only back you up on 1. , and that data is spot on to what I’ve been seeing. For my market, I’m using $3/mile as we work with companies that have a variety of delivery vehicles from pickups to flatbeds.

8 Likes

thank you @Mike_Kotloski very helpful!

National Flatbed Rates

The DAT load board is trucking’s super-database for freight and truckload capacity.
so surprising you are backing up @Andrew_Gibson on #1. :rofl: :grinning:

9 Likes