Tropical Timber Trends - Exotic Hardwood fencing

Exotic hardwoods for decking have been a popular trend for several decades now in North America, but the 2 most popular species, ipe and cumaru, will go on CITES next year and that will be sure to reduce their sales volumes. Replacement species will not be as good and tropical decking sales will probably decline. If the species used to replace these 2 have more warping, twisting, cracking then they will be rejected by the market. Where we may see an increase in the use of tropical hardwoods is as fencing. Fencing has different demands than decking. As I explained to a friend of mine when he said that decks and fences are both outside, I replied “you don’t walk on fencing”. Many tropical species will outlast cedar or pressure treated by a wide margin. Drive past a 10 or 12 year old subdivision and see all the fences that are in need of replacement. My brother in law installed massaranduba fencing at his house 12 years ago. I took a picture last week. No crack, warping or twisting. Some very minor surface checking. The wood has weathered to a grey colour, but the original colour can come back using a pressure washer and a new coat of oil. Not doing anything and it will probably last 30 to 40 years or more. I attached a picture of it. So keep an eye out for on fencing as the market responds to a smaller volume of ipe and cumaru and the companies selling them adjust their strategies. Especially for prefab fence panels where installation can be quick and easy.

10 Likes