Magnesium oxide board - the new norm in building construction

Continuing the discussion from Magnesium oxide board - the new norm in building construction:

Brilliant. Let’s get more dependent on China and run up the demand for child and slave labor. Makes you feel all warm and fuzzy, eh? The new norm in building construction better be something we can make from our own natural resources and manufacture at sellable prices paying good wages, or perhaps reconsider housing in its current form, or else we are giving away the keys the kingdom.

7 Likes

Actually Matt the raw material comes from India or other countries, not China. US prices on MgO way too high to even contemplate using it. And as a courtesy you may start listening to experts rather than Trump and Fox News about your statements and learn that we are not dependent on China with only a 2.5% of our entire GDP relationship with them or as much as China had bought from the US as a percentage of their GDP. Kind of a moot point wouldn’t you say and no, they are not stealing from the US as the Trumpers would say. You should however apologize to the American farmer who you have harmed as China is one of their customers of their agriculture products and comments like yours sent that business to Brazil who is cutting down more of the Amazon’s forest repurposing to ag land and blaming the deforestation on the forest products industry… Slave labor? Instead of interning Muslims, the US just kills millions of Muslims in the Middle East. Don’t believe everything you hear on the opinion shows on cable tv.

6 Likes

Actually Jeff, you should not to be so quick to make assumptions about people and categorizing them because they disagree with you. Nor should you make statements blaming or accusing, others who you have no first have experiences with, for circumstances which conflict with your personal views. To boldly claim that MgO is the new norm and make a lengthy case for its benefits, omitting that it is “way too high to even contemplate using it” is irresponsible and misleading. The apology I owe is to Pakira and its followers for being drawn off topic and wasting their time responding to your spiteful reply. The End. ml

9 Likes

Matt, not sure what you are bloviating about but you appear to be off subject and a person who thinks he knows everything when in fact Matt, you don’t. I have been a forest product trader Matt and know your work. Please. Stick to the subject at hand please and that is the issue of forwarding the building material industry rather than keeping it stuck in the past where you reside. You should also research the facts on trade, especially in forest products, and the misinformation about China and get with the majority of industries in the U.S. that reject that fraudulent attacks on our trade partners. You might consider responding in a more professional manner in the future rather than attack and respond with a condescending manner on a subject you know nothing about. My opinion.

6 Likes

Oh and btw Matt, the MgO meaning was the raw material of magnesium oxide will likely come from India for the U.S. plants because of the anti-China rhetoric folks like you spread. The raw material of MgO here in the states from companies like Martin Marietta are too high in costs as they are only made to high purities for technical and pharmaceutical needs. We don’t need that purity for building materials. The only nation in the world not utilizing MgO product lines is the US but that’s changing, so how can that be misleading or irresponsible? Well, only you would have that answer.

8 Likes

My apologies Jeff. I mistakenly assumed you knew something about or for worked in the softwood lumber industry. I should have done more research to discover that you are actually an anti-trade lobbyist. My sincere apologies.

ML

6 Likes

Is there something wrong with you Matt? I’m not an anti-trade lobbyist, more like a pro-trade lobbyist as were all Republicans like former President Ronald Reagan, and yes Matt, I worked in the softwood sector, the hardwood sector and the international trade sector for forest products that supplies our nation with raw materials to keep inflation in check and benefit US industry. As the top trader Matt out of 400 at my former company I innovated many new ideas including four lumber mills in Missouri, and the import/export profit center. I was also the industry negotiator for the CARB rules on formaldehyde nationwide and saved the industry over $300 million in California alone. For the trucks that haul forest products, my team opposed the CARB diesel regulations saving over $10 billion to the California truck industry. But alas, you personify the typical last century old-school lumber characterization and lack the skills of diplomacy or how to relate to the public. Since MgO is not a forest products, you felt the need to come out of the chutes on an attack against the technology when companies like Huber Engineered Wood Products have already seen the advantages of MgO over wood and purchased the technology as the story goes from a disgruntled employee of our partners in building US plants. Matt, you lack the professional standards that are needed for the 21st century forest products and building products sector. Might want to re-check my qualifications and add that I’m also a graduate forest engineer and a top skeptical climate scientist that knows a little bit more about this industry and the science that you could ever possibly understand.

7 Likes

I’m out Jeff. This has gotten way out of hand. My point was that we should look for more American made solutions rather than more China dependent. We should be allies working towards a greater good. My views are not political or meant to be personal. You are correct. I have been uncharacteristically unprofessional with you. Please accept my apology. ML

7 Likes

We are building U.S. factories and using Chinese technology so that should make you happy. China has bought as much from the U.S as a percentage of their GDP as the U.S. has bought from China as a percentage of our GDP. About 2.5% is all and a moot point exasperated by far-right extremists and the cause and effect of U.S. inflation and made worse by the pandemic’s federal dollars and the port chaos and now Biden’s incompetence. China is not the problem, they build, we just argue about everything.

You can buy me a beer someday.

9 Likes