Welcome to Pakira Pub!

Hi everyone, just joined Pakira. I am Franz from Uruguay, South America, love wood products and worked in international plywood and SYP log sales all over the world. Please let me know if anybody is interested in having some import/exports stats, would love to share information (in or out of many countries for any product, just let me know).

Just to give you an example, below are the actual FOB prices for logs from Uruguay to China and India. As usual, October to January no shipments to China are done due to Chinese new year in February and 2022 lockdown started again in Shanghai (Taicang port).

14 Likes

Welcome to Pakira, @Franz_Niederwieser

8 Likes

Hi @Joseph_Weisenthal ! Welcome to the Pakira community. Can’t wait to checkout your podcast, sounds great.

7 Likes

Glad to have you all the way from South America @Franz_Niederwieser. Welcome!

8 Likes

Welcome @Joseph_Weisenthal! You’re reporting on physical commodity markets is a good service to the industry. You are in good company with some of the top builders, physical commodity wood traders, and wood industry experts in the world here. Listening to your podcast, I can tell you’re a real nerd for the wacky world of how goods actually come to market.

10/10 recommend the Odd Lots podcast for everyone interested in learning about physical commodity markets in and outside of our industry. Further, if you are interested in understanding interest rates and the plumbing behind them, then Odd Lots will help you stay ahead of the curve :wink:

10 Likes

Welcome @Franz_Niederwieser! Your expertise will be uniquely insightful and your charts are incredibly impressive!

Since the war in Ukraine broke out have you seen a decrease of inquiries from the Chinese market.

Do you ship into European markets? If so, have you seen an increase in inquiries from the European markets? (as described below) A chart on pricing to European markets might be interesting to see also.

10 Likes

Hi, I am Matthias Gelber originally from Germany, now living in the Philippines and working for a Finnish technology company - I guess that makes me quite exotic here right?

We manufacture machines that do extremely fast KD drying with mechanical control and thermal modification to enhance wood properties and eliminate drying defects.
We have as well some great experience with turning small-diameter timber into high-value CLT-type products that have been used for many years in harsh conditions in Finland for exterior use. Here is an example of a 7-year-old building mainly made from small diameter waste wood - The Löyly Masterpiece of Architecture Made from Small Diameter Wood

We are doing tests on some difficult or slow-to-dry species such as Eucalyptus/Oak etc and are working increasingly with very fast-growing species from SE Asia and hardwoods to make them more suitable for Mass Timber or Thermal Wood applications. Is anyone here working on similar stuff?

Seems like some of you went to the Nantes expo early this month - pity I only just joined as we could have met there. Looking forward to connecting with some of you.

14 Likes

Matthias,
Our company does a fair amount of hardwood decking and we have been in search of a thermally modified hardwood decking line. Please keep me in the loop. I currently supply thermally modified Hard Maple, Ash and Aler to a number of large guitar manufactures.
Thank you,
Scott Hatfield
Specialty Forest Products Inc.
scott@specialtyforest.com

11 Likes

Hallo Matthias, wie gehts?

Im really interested in your work, I live in Chile and theres still no development of such a technolgie here, hope you can tell me if your company would like to talk about a collaboration for chilean radiata pine market

regards

julio condeza
julio@neuberchile.com

10 Likes

Hi Scott - nice to meet you here - that sounds very interesting. I will send you more info about our technology via email. The big advantage is that we can do the drying and thermal modification in one fast process, so there is a previous KD required.

11 Likes

Hi Julio - just sent you an email as follow up

10 Likes

Welcome to Pakira @Matthias_Gelber ! Exciting to have someone with such a diverse and experienced background join the community.

Wow, what great connections being made already. This is what Pakira’s all about! Pakira’s Secure Chat feature is great resource to continue conversations in a private setting. Let us know if you have any questions!

6 Likes

Welcome Pete_Kobelt.
What do you need out of the Mills?
I might be able to help you solve the disconnect problem?
Congratulations on the success you’re having so far!

8 Likes

Hello everyone.

My name is Rob Dahlberg. I am the flooring sales manager and lumber sales for Buchanan Hardwoods in Aliceville AL. We are a hardwood sawmill and flooring plant. We produce around 11 million board feet yearly of KD Hardwood Lumber and our flooring plant specializes in 3/4" solid unfinished hardwood flooring. We make around 11 to 12 million sq ft of hardwood flooring per year. I have been with the company going on 7 years and have enjoyed getting to know the industry and people involved in it. I look forward to meeting and conversing with the people of this forum!

Thanks

14 Likes

Welcome @robert_dahlberg! You bring a wealth of experience to the community and I am looking forward to your engagement :+1:

8 Likes

Rob- What’s up bud! Welcome to Pakira

I would recommend Robs’ products. Good company good people!

11 Likes

Welcome Rob to the Pakira community - I look forward to hearing more about Buchanan Hardwoods and your personal opinion on the multiple subjects that are discussed. Cheers from Quebec City, Neill

11 Likes

Welcome to the Pakira community @robert_dahlberg! Great to have another fantastic industry expert here.

10 Likes

Hello All,

My name is Tony Vanatta and I work for 84 Lumber Co. in TN. My position is outside sales. I started with 84 in 1995 and honestly didn’t know a thing about the lumber business.
Over the years, I have been through the ups and downs but never have I or could I have expected the surge in our business that has taken place since covid started. That is not to say that it has been easy. With the delivery and supply chains being very difficult during this time, we must continue to look for options for the customers and not be locked into doing business as if we were back in the day.
Although I am 60 years of age I still have the desire to be all I can be and with this attitude and support of the company the sky is the limit.

14 Likes

Welcome @Anthony_Vanatta!! Your wealth of experience, positive attitude, and open mindedness will be a great addition to our community.

Given the recent volatility, are you seeing less contract and more open market business out there?

9 Likes