Welcome to Pakira Pub!

…and I also build my own computers which MIT fellows would like. I was recently a citizen agent with the US Fish & Wildlife Service, under contract, in enforcement of the US Lacey Act as amended in 2008 to include wood products, consulting on US and world enforcement. I received an agent number, asked for 007, but that was taken, believe it or not.

8 Likes

pretty hilarous Mr. "just missed 007 @Jeff_Lassle " :joy:
did you get the “00 Bourne” agent # instead?

6 Likes

It was a three digit designation and I did have one 7 in it. Unfortunately, I can’t give it out as don’t want the USFWS giving me a call on confidentiality claims. They wouldn’t tell me if 007 even existed.

9 Likes

ok @Jeff_Lassle we won’t ask then so as not to get you in trouble :joy:

7 Likes

7 Likes

Good afternoon Pakira partners, my name is Neill Gibson and I have been involved with the lumber industry for more than 20 years. I am based in Quebec City and am responsible for sales at VAB - Timber Automation, supplier of optimisation equipment for sawmills and planer mills in both softwood and hardwood. After spending over 15 years in the actual sales of lumber and value added products such as siding and fencing, I made the move to the equipment side of the business because today industry needs to increase automation to compete. I look forward to any future communications and if there are any specific questions about VAB products, feel free to reach out to me directly at neill.gibson@timberna.com. Cheers

7 Likes

Welcome to the community @Neill_Gibson, I had no idea you had a background in lumber sales before VAB, how interesting! Couldn’t agree more, American companies need to continue investing in technology to remain competitive. There is a night and day difference between the sticks I see from the US (room for improvement) vs Euro (beautiful products). Is that due to automation?

8 Likes

Welcome . This group is passionate and making things happen. It’s nice to see “Team Pakira”

9 Likes

To be honest Andrew, the difference in Europe starts with the trees. They do not manage forests like we do and I have had European producers visit north of the border who were completely stunned by the “natural forests” we have here. Imagine in parts of Scandinavia, when seedlings are planted the trees location, species, etc. are added to a data base and technology has gotten to the point where when it comes time to harvest, the machinery is sent via GPS location to harvest specific trees according to their profile, etc. Europe is a whole other world. Because of this, sawmills do not produce random products, they accumulate logs of specific characteristics so that when they do a production run, the sawmill system doesn’t need to waste time adjusting patterns, they run hard and fast producing according to the logs and this means that the product coming out is rough sawn square on all sides. In Europe wood products are no different than farming corn, and other agricultural crops, except for the grow time… We have a long way to go to bring N-A lumber to the levels of most European producers. Automation & optimization have a part to play but the mentality has to change as well.

10 Likes

Hello,
Found the industry while looking for spending money in High School. Spent many Saturdays sweeping the warehouse or cleaning up in the yard - while it did not seem like it at the time, very valuable lessons learned about product, storage and bin locations.
Continued the part time work in college and met the friendliest, most honest and fun loving group of people in the world. By then I had sawdust in my blood and have never left the industry.
Worked as a framer and trim carpenter, moved on to manage a cabinet shop, spent a decade in wholesale before returning to the retail side and have been here since.
Already finding this site and it’s members to be extremely knowledgeable about the industry.
Glad to be a part of it.

10 Likes

We love having you all as part of #TeamPakira!!

@Michael_Haas @Neill_Gibson @David_Hoglund @Jeff_Lassle @Jim_Schumacher @Darren_Thomas @Heather_Karleen @Ashley_Boeckholt @justin_smith @Mike_Kotloski @cmusselman @Daniel_Wakefield @Bernard_Lee @Jeff_Girard @Jordan_Kirk @Bill_Kazakoff @Matt_Layman @Daniel_Drake @Nic_Wilson

10 Likes

Cheers ! Good Work !

6 Likes

Reading about the efficiency of European forests and harvesting is fascinating! The order and structure of these Scandinavian forests must be a sight to behold when it comes to harvesting and running. I

Separately, do you know if our “natural forests” are any healthier than what they have across Europe? I do not hear much about disease coming from them and their sticks are always so clear.

6 Likes

Welcome @David_Hoglund! We are glad to have you as part of our community. You have a WEALTH of experience across the supply chain. If it’s alright with you, I’d love for you to offer your retail perspective on the market. Retail plays a huge role in the market, and yet most market reporting is so often hyper-focused on the mill level and so we miss the full picture.

@Craig_Parker you guys should connect!

9 Likes

Andrew, the debate between natural and cultivated forests has been an issue for decades. I believe that the notion of monocultural plantations is starting to evolve towards multi species but not everyone has adopted the practice. There are so many variables to consider that the process of evolution will take time but it appears obvious this early in the process that there are definite advantages. In terms of the quality, because the industry doesn’t operate on a fixed product blend, the fiber goes to the market with the best and most consistent return. European mills rarely have inventory of finished products that is unsold. They produce according to the order file whereas in North America, for the most part mills simply try to produce as much volume as possible of the same basket of products and only consider changing their focus when inventories stop moving. I liken it too the following models: in Europe sales drive production whereas in North America, production drives sales.

10 Likes

Discussion continued here:

9 Likes

Howdy all. I’m Craig, I’m up in Maine, and about a year and a half ago I stepped up with two others to keep a lumber yard in the Moulton family.

I worked here years ago, but our ERP provider hired me out and I’ve been in tech ever since. I am not a fan of Corporate America, so I’m back at a small business.

I got here in the midst of the Covid ruckus (July 2020), didn’t get a whole lot of advice from the generation that retired, and am trying to find my way. I’m automating what I can, swearing at my ERP provider when I can’t, and trying to use technology to cut times down on manual processes. This is all in preparation for growth. We’ve historically been a passive lumber yard, and competitors are eating our lunch, so I’m gearing up to go rectify that.

I’m a Linux guy, have a pretty thorough knowledge of MySQL (the database) and can code some (shell scripts and PHP).

I also have a wicked Mainah accent…

11 Likes

Welcome !

8 Likes

Welcome “wicked Mainah accent” @Craig_Parker – welcome aboard! Tell me you ski? x-country or downhill, anything would do! In which case we’re packing up to go visit you up in Mainah… accent and all :joy:

Seriously though, we would love your opinion on what @David_Hoglund and myself have been discussing in the Retail perspective - #4 by Nadia thread. Will go tag you there as well @Craig_Parker

6 Likes

Alas, I do not ski. I have been known to snowboard on occasion, but not lately. I was debating making a youtube video for the lumber yard where I “waterski on a sled” behind a truck driving around our icy parking lot, but haven’t gotten there yet.

8 Likes