Welcome to Pakira Pub!

Another warm day in the woods!! I’ll be cussing the heat, and humidity in Kentucky soon enough.

A major setback in this region is mistrust. Everyone wants more cooperation, but nobody seems willing to show their hand?
When a sawmill gets steady buyers, they keep it a close kept secret… I have personally seen truck’s being followed to their destination.

Does anyone have ideas on some sort of agreement that could be reached? It’s like running the price up for something your bidding on… It doesn’t make financial sense?

7 Likes

Hello Nadia,

Thanks for reaching out!
I am helping local mills keep low grade, and tie logs in the lot at the moment. I have been all over the place in the industry.

The main thing holding us back around here is the secretive nature of small mill owner’s.
A tool that is badly needed could be an app, or website that helps post the bids for lumber, logs, and wood biomass. If you know of something that could be put into place that might help assure jumpy seller’s that their prices would be kept anonymous,or confidential?

That would be a huge leap forward for us In this part of the world! I tried creating an app that would help smaller Mills connect to buyers, but I’m not very good at building apps?

8 Likes

Hello @Burford_Bolander all excellent points! We should get you on our product team at Pakira! :smiley:
Seriously though, all the Pakira members here are the early adopters and are helping shape the tools for the industry (remember – it’s “by the industry for the industry”). I’ll connect with you directly, and also … this week as we announced, we are planning to release the Pakira chat so we can connect one on one right here on Pakira!

9 Likes

Hello there!

I’m Igor from Belgium and currently working at Lambrechts Hout (wood in dutch). I’ve been active for about 10 years, within the first 5 years as a jobstudent in the processing plant and the last 5 as a full-time sales rep. Our main products are scandinavian softwood sawn, planed and thermo heat treated. Hence our slogan ‘We go hard in Softwood’. Pleasure to be part of this community and open for discussions at any time. As i said earlier to Andrew, Pakira is quite the guide we’ve been missing for so long!

10 Likes

Welcome!!

8 Likes

Welcome @Igor_Adriaensen

We are so very excited to have you on here. Especially given the global trade flow “card shuffling” going on. I look forward to hearing your insights on what is going on within the Scandinavian softwood market. Please feel free to post whatever you are hearing out there! We are lucky to have you on Pakira! Again, welcome to the community!

10 Likes

Welcome @Igor_Adriaensen I’m looking forward to seeing you regularly on Pakira!

10 Likes

Hello Igor, welcome to Pakira. I’m happy to see you join us!

10 Likes

Welcome @Igor_Adriaensen! Thank you for participating, your Belgium perspective and support for Pakira. Would be awesome to have you upload your profile photo – I will send you a screenshot via chat!

9 Likes

In addition @Igor_Adriaensen I have a technical/market question. Would you say most of the wood products in Europe are planed or unplaned?

6 Likes

Hello hello everyone!

I am Madison, an energetic and sarcastic teenager from Madison, Wisconsin! Currently, I am a sophomore undergraduate student studying Journalism & Mass Communications at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. In other words: I’m Madison, from Madison, going to UW-Madison!

I recently joined the Pakira team as the Journalism & Social Media Intern! It’s so exciting to be a part of such a motivated and optimistic team of individuals. You’ll certainly catch me “milling” around the forum and social media pages in the future! I can’t wait to interact with you all more soon!

13 Likes

Welcome @Madison_Hibner glad you are on board! and solid wood pun… you really nailed it!

11 Likes

Hello Madison from Madison. It’s a pleasure to meet you! Welcome to an amazing community.

11 Likes

Glad you are on the Pakira team, Madison!

11 Likes

Hi Nadia,

Let’s take construction for example, it used to be much non-planed timber way before my days. Most of the housing here is still build with bricks with just the roof construction made out of timber. Suppliers like us who have the planing machines ready to roll are getting more inquiries for planed measurements. Belgium has always been a strange market for this. These days the Netherlands are getting more and more housing facilities in timber frame constructions in large quantities which is far superior for our ‘mild’ climate. Although Belgium still remains very traditional due to the mindset of the people and lack of politics involved in the green way of dealing with this. Smaller companies who offer timber frame construction are getting materials beyond borders like Austria, Germany and the Nordic regions of Scandinavia just to be competitive in price.

Hope this gives some insight, i’m always open for conversation about this!

8 Likes

hi,every one.
I am Jacky, the sales manager at Linyi Jitai Wood Co.,Ltd.The main products is film faced plywood and commercial plywood. Most of my spare time,I would like to know more knowledge about plywood and timber from all over the world. Believe that, we‘ll have a good time together! If you want to know more information about film faced plywood,please contact me.

10 Likes

Welcome @Jacky_Yang! I look forward to learning more about plywood & timber from all over the world with you while having a good time together!

6 Likes

Welcome Jacky Yang. I was one of the largest importers of film-faced plywood and hardwood plywood from China before the implementation of the antidumping tariffs. Film-faced is of course plywood used for concrete form and comes in either black or brown film; one being better for longevity than the other.

6 Likes

Hey everyone -

I am Matt and the founder of Marsh & Partners, a local real estate developer in the Raleigh, NC area.

I couldn’t tell you the first thing about lumber, only that the price keeps going up which means my GC keeps bugging me to tell me he’s charging more.

I look forward to learning from the group!

Matt

13 Likes

Goes up and down depending on supply and demand affected by time of year, environmental issues (fires, bugs, diseases, environmental pressures, etc.), tariffs, economic conditions, geopolitical issues, government interference, pandemics, shipping issues, port chaos., etc. Have I missed anything?

7 Likes